Social commenting means you will join someone else’s conversation on social networks with the goal of driving traffic and business to your website.
People who work in marketing don’t really talk about this tactic as something useful, and that comes from lack of knowledge… and I can prove it.
The client I selected to run a social commenting for is The Clique Booths. The idea was to get event and party planners.
A PA would be hired to enter selected social networks, search for posts about the subjects we want to comment on, and publish a comment that is relevant to the discussion and also links back to Clique Booth’s website.
- I needed to come up with a system that would be done by a PA, not by me. (Trying to scale the operation).
- To find relevant posts for weddings, company parties and general event management topics.
- To write useful comments to the discussion and link the whole thing to the business.
Of course, this turned out to be a little expensive because every single comment needed to be crafted for each discussion, but in the next few lines of this article, I will share with you exactly how I tackled this problem and results afterward.
I have created a spreadsheet with every single piece of information necessary for me to follow or even for a PA to do on its own.
I have created:
- 10 steps that should be followed in detail, covering every single situation (tackling challenge 1, above.)
- 11 keywords that should be used to search for relevant discussions (challenge 2, above).
- 10 possible comments to be used, tackling the challenge 3, above.
Take a look at the structure of the spreadsheet:
The PA would search for the keywords in each of the selected social networks, find relevant posts, comment on them and register in another part of the spreadsheet:
The PA would comment on 10 posts in each of the 4 networks, every day. This is 40 comments for 3 days, which makes 120 comments in total.
The results? Google started ranking on the desired keywords:
Tip: From this experiment, I’m comfortable to say that if you are serious about SEO, you need to be doing social commenting. This is a free, organic and successful marketing tactic that we all need to use.
Don’t know about you, but I was impressed.